Organization: Cairo Institute for Human Rights Studies
Location: Tunis, Tunisia
Position: Human Rights Education Associate
Unit: Human Rights Education
Starting Date: Immediate
Job Type: Full Time
Contract: One year (renewable)
Salary: Salaries are determined based on the employee’s position on the wage scale.
Do you have excellent organizational, multitasking, and communication skills that you would like to use to support the Human Rights Education program of a respected regional NGO? Have you always wanted to use your professional assets- such as those in capacity building, filing and archiving, event planning, and logistics – to promote and defend human rights? Are you interested in disseminating human rights knowledge and values in the interests of justice, peace, and democracy?
This offer will be of interest to you. Please find below a description of the position and its requirements.
Who we are
CIHRS is a unique organization that has demonstrated its credibility in the field of human rights and democracy since its inception in 1993. During the many political storms that have come, passed and remain ongoing throughout the MENA region, CIHRS has repeatedly demonstrated its ability to stand above the politics of national interest groups. As a growing and increasingly influential organization, CIHRS remains resolutely committed to its core principles of respect for human rights and justice.
CIHRS and its partners from across the MENA region have contributed to numerous successful international advocacy initiatives. Among many achievements, these advocacy efforts have succeeded in pressuring national governments to modify or halt legislation that threatens freedom of assembly and association, and in mobilizing powerful international organizations such as the United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC) to take strong stances on repressive governments violating the basic rights of their citizens.
As a regional organization deeply embedded within the human rights movement in MENA, CIHRS both fosters strong connections with civil society organizations on the ground and effectively engages with major players in the international community. Through decades of activism, engagement and monitoring of regional and global politics, CIHRS has gradually increased its institutional capacity and international reach, largely through the establishment of CIHRS offices in Europe and North Africa. Given its strategic operational setup and broad range of partnerships across the world, CIHRS has a distinctive ability to connect local human rights violations in MENA to global security and stability concerns.
CIHRS advocates for human rights and democracy across the MENA region. Through the elevation of local voices, CIHRS contributes to the building of sustainable, prosperous, and peaceful societies.
To protect public space and advocate for democratic practices across the MENA region, CIHRS aims to engage and encourage interest-driven actors to respect human rights, justice and accountability.
The Human Rights Education Associate reports to the Human Rights Education Manager. He/she will have the responsibility of facilitating workflow within the program. His/her job includes providing administrative and logistic support for the program, managing and organizing events and activities, and organizing documentation and maintaining thorough, up-to-date records for the program. The Human Rights Education Associate must ensure the implementation of work plans and the continuous development of programs, and coordinate and facilitate work between the program and CIHRS’ operational unit.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinate all logistics of the HR Education Program with the support of the Administrative team, including: travel, accommodation, translation, transportation;
- Coordinate logistics for training programs, including but not limited to: developing and sending invitations, monitoring reservations, arranging training room set-up, food and supplies arrangements, follow-up on registration and attendance;
- Prepare all materials and supplies, and ensure venue and equipment are prepared, in coordination with relevant trainers, and the CIHRS Administrative team;
- Act as the main contact person for participants, trainers, and relevant staff;
- Support implementing partners on logistical arrangements for training programs outside of Tunis;
- Developing a filing/archival system to maintain the “program’s memory,” in coordination with the HR Education Manager, and keep it up-to-date;
- Maintain a database of participants, trainers and relevant consultants;
- Manage budget and financial transactions for training programs in consultation with the financial and administrative departments;
- Help with the drafting and editing of technical and financial reports for both internal and external project stakeholders;
- Assist in training delivery when assigned;
- Document and share best practices for training programs in the Middle East and North Africa region;
- Support the development of training content (e.g. reviewing language, facilitating translation);
- Support project monitoring and evaluation as needed;
- Study prices of goods and services in light of budgets, in consultation with the financial and administrative departments;
- Ensure payment of all the program’s financial obligations in coordination with the financial and administrative departments;
- Make appointments, attend meetings, and take notes as needed.
- Perform other duties as needed.
It is highly desirable that the successful applicant has or can demonstrate:
- A university degree
- Excellent Arabic and English language skills, French is a plus;
- Experience working in similar positions is highly preferred;
- Experience in human rights issues is preferred;
- Experience working in adult learning and/or capacity building positions is preferred;
- Excellent communication skills, ability to effectively communicate information and ideas in written and verbal formats, and proficiency in building and maintaining relationships;
- Excellent organizational skills and experience in filing/archival systems;
- Excellent ability to work as part of a team in a multicultural environment;
- Ability to work well under pressure, and adapt to emerging issues and changing priorities;
- Willingness to work extra hours on occasion, sometimes during weekends, as the need arises;
- Creative and diplomatic, and exceptional interpersonal skills;
- Detail oriented;
- Strong computer skills in database administration and Microsoft Office, particularly MS Word, MS PowerPoint, and MS Excel is required.
- 1-year contract subject to a 3-month probation period. Renewal subject to funding.
- Commencement: Immediate
- Working hours: Full time – 40 hours/week
- Based: Tunis, Tunisia
Commitment to Equality
CIHRS is committed to ensuring equality and non-discrimination on grounds of sex, race, religion or belief in its hiring process. CIHRS is a multicultural environment that celebrates diversity. All employees are expected to promote and act in a manner that ensures a non-discriminatory, open and sensitive approach to others from different backgrounds and cultures.
How to Apply
Please submit your full application by sending a motivation letter and an updated CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please indicate clearly your availability in the motivation letter.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Please indicate which position is being applied for in the subject line of the email.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- For any query on this position please e-mail email@example.com
- The deadline for applications is March 16th, 2020 at 23:59 Tunisia time.