Organization: Cairo Institute for Human Rights Studies (CIHRS)
Location: Cairo, Egypt
Position: Egypt program Associate
Starting Date: immediately
Contract Duration: 1 year, with possibility of extension
Salary: The remuneration will be commensurate with the experience of the applicant and competitive rates in Egyptian NGOs
Background about CIHRS
The Cairo Institute for Human Rights Studies (CIHRS) is an independent regional non-governmental organization founded in 1994. It aims at promoting respect for the principles of human rights and democracy, analyzing the difficulties facing the application of international human rights law and disseminating human rights culture in the Arab Region as well as engaging in dialogue between cultures. A key part of CIHRS’ mandate is to help shape the understanding of the most pressing human rights issues within the region and to coordinate and mobilize key players and NGOs from across the Arab world to work together towards solutions. CIHRS enjoys consultative status with the United Nations ECOSOC and observer status in the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights (ACHPR). CIHRS is also a member of the Euro-Mediterranean Human Rights Network (EMHRN), the International Freedom of Expression Exchange (IFEX) and the International Federation for Human Rights (FIDH).
CIHRS was awarded the French Republic Award for Human Rights in December 2007.
The associate will provide administrative and logistical support to the other members of the program, as well as coordination and research tasks.
1- Facilitate work flow within the program, including coordination and reporting.
2- Facilitate work between the program and CIHRS’ administration
3- Be responsible for organizational/logistical side of planning events and activities
4- Maintain thorough, up-to-date documentation and filing for the program
5- Assist the program’s staff with other tasks as necessary including research.
Tasks include (but not limited to):
- Developing a filing system; updating all of program’s databases;
- Organizing all training courses, lectures, conferences, events of the program.
- Providing help in all administrative and financial aspects related to activities
- Ensuring payment of all financial obligations of the program;
- Ensuring proper timely translation of materials;
- Collecting data and performing research if needed;
- Preparing reports
Skills and experience
- Excellent English and Arabic language skills;
- A university degree;
- Experience working in similar positions highly preferred;
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Excellent ability to work as part of a team;
- Ability to work well under pressure, to adapt to emerging issues and changing priorities;
- Willingness to work extra hours on occasion, sometimes during weekends, as the need arises;
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment;
- Experience in human rights issues preferred.
More information about Cairo Institute for Human Rights Studies could be found at: www.cihrs.org
Resumes should be sent to: [email protected] before May 11th, 2014
Resumes will be reviewed as received. Interviews will be granted as interesting candidates are identified, so there is no need for telephone calls, application must include a cover letter describing their interest and qualifications, please write your name and the position in the subject line of your email.
CIHRS is an equal opportunity employer