Organization: Cairo Institute for Human Rights Studies (CIHRS)
Starting Date: immediately
Contract Duration: 6 months, with possibility of extension
Salary: The remuneration will be commensurate with the experience of the applicant and competitive rates in Egyptian NGOs
Background about CIHRS
The Cairo Institute for Human Rights Studies (CIHRS) is an independent regional non-governmental organization founded in 1994. It aims at promoting respect for the principles of human rights and democracy, analyzing the difficulties facing the application of international human rights law and disseminating human rights culture in the Arab Region as well as engaging in dialogue between cultures. A key part of CIHRS’ mandate is to help shape the understanding of the most pressing human rights issues within the region and to coordinate and mobilize key players and NGOs from across the Arab world to work together towards solutions. CIHRS enjoys consultative status with the United Nations ECOSOC and observer status in the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights (ACHPR). CIHRS is also a member of the Euro-Mediterranean Human Rights Network (EMHRN), the International Freedom of Expression Exchange (IFEX) and the International Federation for Human Rights (FIDH).
CIHRS was awarded the French Republic Award for Human Rights in December 2007.
- Monitor and analyze the human rights situation and developments in specific Arab countries including the Levant, Gulf and North Africa
- Keep up-to-date on political and legal developments, national and international, and analyze their impact on the human rights situation .
- Collect and document all information and developments related to the enhancement or deterioration of the human rights situation in the Arab countries covered by the annual report, including highlighting their aspects and analyzing the most significant legal and constitutional developments in the specific period covered by the report.
- Regular monthly report on the situation to be submitted to the research unit head.
- Contributing on some of the logistical and administrative tasks related to the research unit.
- A minimum of 2 years experience working in the field of human rights or civil society organizations; and preferably in the field of human rights protection
- A university degree in relevant subjects (e.g. Law, Human Rights, Political Science, International Relations
- Masters Degree preferable;
- Proficiency in Arabic
- Proficiency in English,
- Excellent communication skills; Ability to effectively communicate information and ideas in written and verbal format, and build and maintain relationships;
- Excellent analytical skills and a strong understanding of the sociopolitical context in the Arab region;
- Published researches by prestigious research centers and think tanks
- Willingness and ability to work extra hours (sometimes during weekends), work well under pressure and adapt to emerging issues and changing priorities; a team-player but also capable of working well independently;
More information about Cairo Institute for Human Rights Studies could be found at: www.cihrs.org
Resumes should be sent to: [email protected] before May 24th, 2014
Resumes will be reviewed as received. Interviews will be granted as interesting candidates are identified, so there is no need for telephone calls, application must include a cover letter describing their interest and qualifications, please write your name and the position in the subject line of your email.
CIHRS is an equal opportunity employer