Organization Name: Cairo Institute for Human Rights Studies
Location: Tunis – Tunis City
Salary: will be decided upon experience and the applicant’s skills as well as the average salaries of other Tunisian NGOs.
The Cairo Institute for Human Rights Studies (CIHRS): The Cairo Institute for Human Rights Studies (CIHRS) is an independent regional non-governmental organization founded in 1994. It aims at promoting respect for the principles of human rights and democracy, analyzing the difficulties facing the application of International Human Rights Law and disseminating Human Rights Culture in the Arab Region as well as engaging in dialogue between cultures. A key part of CIHRS’ mandate is to help shape the understanding of the most pressing human rights issues within the region and then to coordinate and mobilize the key players and NGOs from across the Arab world to work together towards solutions. CIHRS enjoys consultative status in the United Nations ECOSOC, and observer status in the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights (ACHPR). CIHRS is also a member of the Euro-Mediterranean Human Rights Network (EMHRN), the International Freedom of Expression Exchange (IFEX), Pan-Africa Human Rights Defenders Network and the International Federation for Human Rights (FIDH). CIHRS currently has offices in Cairo, Egypt; Tunis, Tunisia and Geneva, Switzerland.
Main requires of the job:
- Communicating with journalists and Media people in Tunis and North African area.
- Widening the knowledge rang of the institute and its publications through being the institute representative in forums and media events.
- Coordinating the media connection between staff and the media.
- Daily follow up with media in Tunis and North Africa area, and providing the staff with what they need with it.
- Following up with all media coverage of the institute activities in Tunis and other Arab countries, and collecting it in monthly reports.
- Writing and distributing invitations and other news related to the institute activities in Tunis, in Arabic, English and French.
- Cooperating with other staff members in organizing institute events.
- Spreading the word about Cairo Institute and all its intellect productions through all means possible social media included (Facebook, Twitter, Flicker….)
Skills needed in applicants:
- Interested in human rights filed.
- Editing and journalism skills.
- Lingual (translations and speaking) skills for English and French.
- High research abilities.
- High lingual communication skills.
- High command of social media.
- The ability to work alone, in a team and under pressure.
- Attending to business needs by being present –sometimes- in irregular working hours.
- Preferred to have a previous experience in being a media officer in NGOs as well as being interested in civic and media work.
How to apply:
- Applicants should send a CV, cover letter, the contacts of two references, and an unedited writing sample in English, and either French or Arabic to [email protected],with the heading ‘Tunisia Media Officer Vacancy’. No telephone call is needed.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
- Applications close on 15 June, 2015